Thank you for your interest in Simply Read Books. We specialize in high-quality, unique picture books and fiction. Before submitting, please browse our website, bookstores and libraries to look at and read what we publish. This will give you an idea of whether or not your story or illustrations would fit with our list.
Simply Read Books is presently seeking manuscripts in the following genres:
- Middle Grade Fiction
- Young Adult Fiction
- Graphic Novels
- Non-Fiction for Kids
- Simply Read Books does not accept submissions or queries via e-mail or on disk
- Please include a self-address, stamped envelope for reply and/or return of manuscript
- Simply Read Books will not necessarily respond to an unsolicited submission unless interested in publishing it.
- If we are interested in your submission, you can expect to hear from us within five months after we receive your submission.
- All manuscripts should be typed and double-spaced on one side only of 8.5 x 11" white paper. Include a typed cover letter of no more than one page, which includes short synopses of your story, author's name, address, and phone number.
- We look for original stories with compelling characters and gripping plots. We look for believability, depth of character, and language that is lively and vivid, with a distinctive voice.
- Please send entire manuscript.
- Please send entire script. Please use comic book script formatting and specifications. When writing your script keep the following points in mind: Is all necessary information communicated clearly to the artist? Does the script allow the pictures to tell story? Does the story work as a graphic novel, taking into account the conventions of the medium?
- Include a cover letter giving a brief description of the project and what is included in the package.
- Include a proposal, including outline, introduction, illustrations list, sample captions, and text/sample chapters (approximately 30 pages of text)
- Sample illustrations or photographs (duplicates rather than originals).
- A market analysis of the potential readership for the book, including title, publisher, and date of all similar books, with an explanation of how your book differs from each.
- Author/illustrator/photographer biography, including publishing credits and credentials in the field.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the materials.
Simply Read Books focuses on high-quality, unique, compelling art. We require artists to illustrate full-color picture books, full-color covers for fiction, and color and black and white illustrations for middle-grade novels. Simply Read Books also publishes a wide variety of gift items, including calendars, alphabet box sets, journals & note cards. For a gift novelty proposal please include a cover letter that gives a brief description of the project and what is included in the package.
- 4 to 8 copies, digital proofs, tear sheets, press sheets,
- One copy of any published book, or F&G
- Any number of images on a CD
- Web portfolios are also accepted
- Any original work
- Any work that needs to be returned unless a S.A.S.E has been included.
Simply Read Books
501-5525 West Blvd. Vancouver, BC
V6M 3W6 Canada